Sexual health can be an awkward topic to bring up for anyone. Many people are not brave enough to face the facts; but as young adults, you need to be sexually responsible, not only for yourselves but for your partner as well.
The SHAG Clinic aims to make it easier for teens to access sexual health information and services.
We know you may face a few obstacles, so here is how we overcome them.
- We bulk bill – that means no cost to you if your family is with Medicare.
- Don’t have your own Medicare Card? That’s fine, we can look up your family’s card number for you. They don’t even need to know.
- Don’t want your parent/guardian to come? If you are 15 or older then you don’t need to be accompanied.
- We are confidential – so we don’t routinely tell your parents/guardians that you visited our clinic
- Think you may need some tests done? There is bulk billing pathology right next door so you don’t need to travel to a different location.
- Just need to talk things out with someone? That’s what we are here for. There is no reason to feel embarrassed.
We provide our services in a safe and friendly environment so you can feel comfortable accessing our services. We offer:
- Puberty education,
- Sexual education,
- Pap smears for sexually active women - learn more,
- Sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing - learn more,
- Contraception advice and prescription - learn more,
- Long term (reversible) contraceptive options,
- Pregnancy testing and shared maternity care – support and advice from a registered midwife,
- Sexual assault support and referral to appropriate counselling services - learn more,
- Sexual and reproductive health support – relationships, intimacy, and performance.
We have answered a few important questions for you below, but if you have more you can call us or send a private message on the Brisbane Centre for Sexual Health Facebook page (please do not include personal or medical information in any messages you send us online).